is a town in Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States, about sixty miles from New York City. Its population was estimated at 18,760 in 2005. In the 2000 Census, the town center was defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as a census-designated place (CDP).
The town is easily accessible from Interstate 84 and has a train station on the Danbury Branch of Metro-North's New Haven line.
Bethel was first settled around 1700. The first houses built in Bethel were in the 1730s or 1740s, they are located at 27 Grassy Plain Street and 63 Grassy Plain Street . For 96 years, until its secession in 1855, Bethel was a parish of Danbury. The name "Bethel" means "House of El (God)".