is a city in Cobb County, Georgia, United States. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 13,422. Census estimated a 2005 population of 17,428.
Unincorporated areas considered Acworth for mailing purposes also extend into southeast Bartow County, northeast Paulding County and southwest Cherokee County. Some of the incorporated portions of Acworth east of Nance Road and Acworth Due West Road have a Kennesaw mailing address.
Acworth Beach is located on nearby Lake Allatoona and Lake Acworth. Acworth's nickname is "The Lake City."
Incorporated in 1860 on December 1, the town was named by Western & Atlantic Railroad engineer Joseph L. Gregg in 1843 for his hometown of Acworth, New Hampshire, which was in turn named for English nobleman Lord Acworth.
from 1840 - 1843, after the first railroad station master Alfred Northcutt, and prior to that it was known as "Andersonville".
During the Civil War, the city was burned by the army of General W. T. Sherman in November 1864, sparing only a few homes. The city was called "Little Shanty" by the Union troops, to contrast it with the next town south, "Big Shanty," since renamed Kennesaw.