is a village in Woodford County, Illinois, United States. The population was last officially measured in a special census in 2003, at 2,602(RE:poplutation incresed so much that they has to do another count in 2008 more than 4,000). Estimated population is now over 3,000. Many other people who do not actually live in the village, but reside nearby in rural Woodford County, often say that they live in Germantown Hills. Germantown Hills is a rapidly growing suburb of Peoria and is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Germantown Hills is a small community located between Peoria and Metamora. A four-lane divided highway, Illinois 116, runs through the center of the village and is the focal point for development and residences.
The area is named after German Catholics that had settled in the area in the 1830s. In 1850, the
was built by William Hoshor. The area was largely agricultural until the village of Oak Grove Park was established in 1954. It was renamed to the village of Germantown Hills in 1967.
There are two schools in Germantown Hills: Germantown Hills Elementary School and Germantown Hills Middle School. GHES educates grades K-2, and GHMS covers 3-8. After GHMS, students go to Metamora Township High School.
Stores in Germantown Hills include Jubilee (a supermarket), Video World, Dollar General, and Ace Hardware. Restaurants include Subway, Germantown Grill, Kouri's, and Michael's Italian Feast.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km²), of which, 1.3 square miles (3.3 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (3.01%) is water.