is a city in DuPage County, Illinois, United States. The population was 13,363 at the 2000 census. It is a part of the Chicago metropolitan area and the Illinois Technology and Research Corridor.
Warrenville was founded in 1833 when Julius Warren and his family moved west from New York seeking a fresh start from a failing gristmill and distillery. Daniel Warren, Julius' father, claimed land at what is now McDowell Woods, and Julius claimed land at what is now the Warrenville Grove Forest Preserve. The first major establishment, an inn/tavern, was built in 1838 by Julius Warren himself, as the family was skilled in timber and grain. The Inn still stands today, and was renovated in 2002.
The town quickly blossomed with two mills and a plank road connecting it with Naperville and Winfield, on which Julius operated a stage coach line. The town failed at its bid to have the railroad come through the town. However, in 1901, the Chicago Aurora and Elgin Railroad came through town, which lasted until the 1950s.
With a population of 4,000, Warrenville was finally incorporated as a city in 1967, following six unsuccessful attempts. The 1970s and 1980s brought westward expansion from the city of Chicago, causing the small farming community's population to nearly double to 7,800.