is a city in Jefferson and Adams townships, Allen County, Indiana, United States. It is a suburb of Fort Wayne situated mostly along the southern banks of the Maumee River. The population was 12,406 at the 2000 census.
New Haven was platted by Henry Burgess, and was incorporated as a town under Indiana law in 1865. It became incorporated as a city in 1963. Several homes built by the Burgess family remain in New Haven. A Burgess home on Summit Street is the oldest brick structure in Jefferson Township. Henry Burgess' son-in-law, E.W. Green built a large frame Greek Revival house on the hill above what is now Central Lutheran School. Another Burgess structure remains at the corner of Summit and Eben Streets.
New Haven's history has been shaped significantly by transportation. It was located along the Wabash and Erie Canal (the Gronauer Lock of the canal was unearthed during construction of Interstate 469 in the late-1980s, and is now on display at the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis). Later, the city was served by the Wabash and Nickel Plate Railroads. Norfolk Southern Railway maintains a significant operation in New Haven today. U.S. 24 and U.S. 30 (the historic Lincoln Highway), as well as Interstate 469 serve residents.
The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society operates east of New Haven on Edgerton Road. The society has restored a Nickel Plate USRA Light Mikado and restored the Craigville Depot, which are housed at the New Haven site.
The historic French settlement of Besancon is on the eastern edge of New Haven along the Lincoln Highway. Saint Louis Catholic Church at Besancon is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
, until the summer of 2002. The paper served New Haven, Leo-Cedarville, Grabill, Harlan, Woodburn, Hoagland, and Monroeville.