() is a town in Acadia Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 4,756 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Crowley Micropolitan Statistical Area.
In the late 1700s, French settlers created clearings by burning the underbrush, creating what they called a "Brulee." One of these clearings was created on the banks of Bayou Plaquemine, near where the bayou came to a point. This new clearing became known as Plaquemine Brulee in 1843 when Etienne D'Aigle III, a descendant of French Canadian immigrants, became the first settler in the area, which at that time was in the middle of Opelousas Parish (later St. Landry Parish), which stretched from the Atchafalaya River to the Sabine River.
Plaquemine Brulee was considered part of the frontier for the next several decades, as there were no railroads and the swampy terrain made overland travel difficult. Early pioneers to the area requested land grants along the bayou only large enough to satisfy their families' immediate needs. Many families raised cattle, which roamed freely on the open range of the prairie. As more families were attracted to the area, Jesuit missionaries filled their spiritual needs by establishing a chapel in 1848 on land donated by the Daigle brothers. The church was known as "La Chapelle de la point de Plaquemine Brulee" (in English, "the church at the point of Bayou Plaquemine"). The English term was later shortened to "Church Point" to refer to the area in general, and was translated back into French as "La Pointe de l'Eglise/."
The town's first school was established in 1856, providing encouragement for the community to grow further. The first Post Office, for the town of "Church Point," was established in the area on September 29, 1873, marking the settlement's first official recognization as a community. Thirteen years later residents of the town voted with those of surrounding communities to form a new parish, known as Acadia Parish.