is a census-designated place (CDP) in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, on the East Bank of the Mississippi River. Jefferson is part of the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 11,843 at the 2000 census. The area is also known as Old Jefferson and Jefferson Heights.
Jefferson is home to a Civil War monument, Camp Parapet, located near the American Legion Post 267. The remaining structure is the powder magazine of the small Confederate outpost along the Mississippi River. In the 1870's it was annexed to the city boundaries of New Orleans, only to be sold back to the Jefferson Parish section of New Orleans. It is around a mile upriver from the actual city limits, and because of its past annexation. It is often considered part of the uptown area. Now it is currently a New Orleans inner-ring suburb.