is a city in Anoka County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 63,573 at the 2000 census, making it the ninth largest city in Minnesota and the fifth largest Twin Cities suburb. Coon Rapids is a northern suburb of Minneapolis.
Originally founded as a part of Anoka Township in 1857, Coon Rapids became a separate village in 1952. In 1959, it became a city. It retains its original boundaries, except for the part that became the City of Anoka.
The name "Coon Rapids" comes from "Coon Creek Rapids", a turbulent part of the Upper Mississippi River near the mouth of Coon Creek. These rapids were removed as a consequence of the construction of the Coon Rapids Dam in 1913. The Dam operated as a hydroelectric generator until 1966 when it was closed and later opened to the public as the Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park in 1978. The dam marks the head of navigation on the Upper Mississippi River waterway
The name "Coon Rapids" came under some controversy in January of 2006. Although it was named after the raccoons that were often found in the former rapids of Coon Creek, City Councilman Joe Sidoti believed that the name had a negative connotation. A proposed name change suggested by the Councilman sparked an uproar among local citizens
, and the proposal was dropped. Coon Rapids' logo was originally of a raccoon, and was changed to an oak leaf by the city council in 2002. This was widely regarded as an unpopular choice. In response to a proposal that passed with a 4-3 vote in the City Council, and with overwhelming support of its citizens, in 2007 the logo was changed back to a raccoon.
Since 1967, Coon Rapids has been the home of the main campus of Anoka-Ramsey Community College.