() is a city south of Saint Paul in Dakota County in the U.S. state of Minnesota. The city lies on the south bank of the Minnesota River, upstream from the confluence with the Mississippi River. Eagan and nearby suburbs form the southern portion of Minneapolis-St. Paul, the sixteenth largest metropolitan area in the United States, with about 3.2 million residents. The U.S. Census Bureau estimated the city's population at 63,751 in 2007.
Originally a rural Irish farming community and "Onion Capital of the United States", Eagan became the eighth largest Minnesota city in the 2000 Census following the construction of Highway 77 and Interstate 494. Currently the fourth largest suburb in the metro area, Eagan is predominantly a bedroom community of both Minneapolis and Saint Paul. The city's influence in the region grew when the companies Northwest Airlines and Thomson West established their headquarters.
Eagan was named for Patrick Eagan who was the first chairman of the town board of supervisors. Patrick Eagan tamed a parcel of land near the present-day town hall. Eagan (born 1811) and his wife Margaret Twohy (born 1816), emigrated from Tipperary, Ireland to Troy, New York where they married in 1843. They arrived in Mendota around 1853-1854, before settling in the Eagan area.