is a town in Ashe County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 1,422 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Ashe County.
The North Carolina General Assembly created a special commission in 1799 to create a county seat for Ashe County. The commission purchased of land to form the Town of Jeffersonton, later named Jefferson. It is the one of the first towns in the nation to bear the name of Thomas Jefferson, who was the Vice President of the United States in 1799.