is a town in Sullivan County, New Hampshire, United States. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 836.
Originally chartered by Governor Benning Wentworth in 1752, it was called Burnet after William Burnet, a former governor of the Province of Massachusetts Bay. In 1754, however, the French and Indian War broke out, and no settlements were made under the charter. Wentworth regranted the township in 1766, naming it Acworth after Sir Jacob Acworth, an English admiral with interests in Portsmouth shipping. The town was first permanently settled in 1768 by several families from Londonderry.
Acworth was incorporated in 1772 by Governor John Wentworth, but war again slowed its development. With the close of the Revolution, however, Acworth grew quickly. By 1859, it had 1,251 inhabitants, most of whom were occupied in agriculture. The Cold River provided water power for industry, including 5 sawmills, a gristmill, a woolen factory, a bobbin factory and a peg factory. There was also a boot and shoe manufacturer. Acworth is a source for museum-quality crystals such as beryl. The town of Acworth, Georgia was named for this town, because this was the hometown of a railroad engineer there.