is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 8,297 at the 2000 census. Hampstead, which includes the village of East Hampstead, is home to a portion of the Rockingham Recreational Trail.
Once part of Haverhill and Amesbury, Massachusetts settled in 1640, this town was formed as a result of the 1739 change in boundary lines between Massachusetts and the new province of New Hampshire. It was originally known as "Timberlane Parish" because of the heavy growth of native trees. The town would be incorporated in 1749 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, who renamed it after Hampstead, England, the residence of William Pitt, a close friend.
Hampstead's Main Street is lined with antique homes. The town was a popular summer camp location.