is a township in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 47,683.
Bloomfield was incorporated as a township from portions of Newark Township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 23, 1812. The new township took its name from the Presbyterian parish, which had been named for Governor of New Jersey Joseph Bloomfield.
At the time it was incorporated, the township covered 20.52 square miles (compared to its current 5.4 square miles) and included several villages which left Bloomfield during the course of the nineteenth century. Their names and dates of separation are:
Bloomfield was incorporated as a town on February 26, 1900. In July 1981, residents voted to adopt the township form.