is a Township in north central Essex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 12,300. In 2006, the population went up to 12,848.
What is now Cedar Grove was originally incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature as the
on February 7, 1892, from portions of Caldwell Township. Portions of the township were taken to create Verona borough, based on the results of a referendum held on April 30, 1907. On April 9, 1908, the name was formally changed to
magazine ranked Cedar Grove as its 4th best place to live in Essex County and 17th best place overall to live in its 2008 rankings of the "Best Places To Live" in New Jersey.
Cedar Grove is located at (40.855854, -74.228981). It is located between the First and Second Watchung Mountains. The center of the township is in a valley that is about above sea level. However, many sections of Cedar Grove are well above , including the Park Ridge Estates, the abandoned Essex County Hospital Center, and the eastern, southeastern and southern sections of Cedar Grove. Cedar Grove's highest peak is on Hilltop, where elevations reach and above. Cedar Grove is located approximately west of Midtown Manhattan and northwest of Newark.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 4.3 square miles (11.3 km
) of it (2.99%) is water. Approximately 0.9 square miles is owned by either the County or the City of Newark.
Cedar Grove's population density is less than the surrounding towns of Montclair, Verona, and Little Falls. This is mainly because Cedar Grove has vast amounts of property owned or previously owned by county or city governments. The Essex County Hospital Center took up a good amount of land and was owned by Essex County. Also, Mills Reservation is a county owned park, and the Cedar Grove Reservoir property is owned by the City of Newark.
Cedar Grove is bordered by North Caldwell, Little Falls, Montclair, and Verona.