is a township in Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2000 census, the township population was 30,726. The Census Bureau's 2004 population estimate for the township was 36,877, representing growth of nearly 20% since the previous enumeration.
Egg Harbor Township was first mentioned as part of Gloucester County in records dating back to March 20, 1693, and at times was called
. The township's western boundary was established on May 13, 1761, with the area called
. Portions of the township were taken to form Galloway Township, which was established by Royal Charter on April 4, 1774. Additional portions were taken to form Weymouth Township on February 12, 1798. On February 21, 1798, the area was incorporated as
. Over the ensuing centuries, portions of the township were taken to create many new municipalities: Hamilton Township on February 5, 1813; Atlantic City on May 1, 1854; Absecon on May 1, 1854; South Atlantic City (now Margate City) on September 7, 1885; Pleasantville on January 10, 1889; Linwood on February 20, 1889; Somers Point on April 24, 1886; Longport on March 7, 1898; Ventnor City on March 17, 1903; and Northfield on March 21, 1905.
Great Egg Harbor got its name from Dutch explorer Cornelius Jacobsen Mey. In 1614, Mey came upon the inlet to the Great Egg Harbor River. The meadows were so covered with shorebird and waterfowl eggs that he called it "Eyren Haven" (Egg Harbor).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 75.0 square miles (194.1 km²), of which, 67.3 square miles (174.4 km²) of it is land and 7.6 square miles (19.7 km²) of it (10.15%) is water.
The Township is bounded by Hamilton Township and Galloway Township to the west and north, respectively, the cities of Absecon, Pleasantville, Northfield, Linwood and Somers Point to the east, Longport and Ocean City to the southeast and the city of Estell Manor to the south.