is a township in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 27,391.
Livingston was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 5, 1813, from portions of Caldwell Township (now Fairfield Township) and Springfield Township (now in Union County, New Jersey). Portions of the township were taken to form Fairmount (March 11, 1862, now part of West Orange) and Roseland (March 10, 1908).
Livingston was created by joining of seven distinct areas: Centerville (separated to become Roseland, New Jersey, in 1908), Cheapside (now Livingston Mall), Morehousetown (now Livingston Circle), Northfield (now Northfield Center), Squiretown (now the Cerebral Palsy Institute of New Jersey on Old Road), Teedtown (now Livingston Center), and Washington Place (now near the border with Millburn). The township was given its name in honor of William Livingston, the first Governor of New Jersey.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 14.1 square miles (36.4 km
The Township of Livingston is located in Essex County, in the Gateway Region. In the vicinity are the Passaic River, West Orange, Millburn, and the Grover Cleveland State Historic Site in West Caldwell. Livingston is part of the New York metropolitan area.