is a town in Erie County, New York. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 116,510. This represents an increase from the 1990 census figure of 111,711. The town is named for Lord Jeffrey Amherst, a British Army officer of the colonial period.
encompasses most of the Village of Williamsville and the hamlets of Eggertsville, Getzville, Snyder, Swormville, and East Amherst. The town is in the northern part of the county and borders a small section of the Erie Canal.
Amherst is home of the Amherst campus of the State University of New York at Buffalo, the graduate campus of Medaille College, a campus of Bryant and Stratton College, and Daemen College. Millard Filmore Suburban Hospital is located in the center of town on Maple Road.
The Town of Amherst was created by the State of New York on April 10, 1818. Amherst was formed from part of the Town of Buffalo (later the City of Buffalo), which had previously been created from the Town of Clarence. Timothy S. Hopkins was elected the first Supervisor of the Town of Amherst in 1819. Part of Amherst was later used to form the Town of Cheektowaga in 1839.