is a town in Dutchess County, New York, United States. The population was 7,521 at the 2000 census. The town is named after Catherine Pawling, the daughter of Henry Beekman, who held the second largest land patent in the county.
is in the southeast part of the county. The town has a village of Pawling.
A part of the town was involved in a boundary problem involving New York and Connecticut. A section of the town, "the Oblong," was settled by Quakers in the 18th century, probably around 1720. The Quaker Meeting House is still standing today, and open for visitors. George Washington established his headquarters at the John Kane House in the town (now the village) for two months in 1778. The town was founded in 1788, but part of the town was used to form the neighboring Town of Dover in 1807.
The oldest public golf course in the United States, the Dutcher Golf Course, also is in Pawling, and still in use. The Pawling Corporation is headquartered there.