is a city in Nassau County, New York on a barrier island off the South Shore of Long Island and one of only two cities in the county. The other city is Glen Cove. As of the United States 2000 Census, the city population was 35,462. It was incorporated in 1923, and is nicknamed
Charles T. Theofan is the current city manager, a position which is appointed by the City Council.
The community became an incorporated village in 1918 and a city in 1922.