is a town in Albany County, New York, United States. The population was 1,915 at the 2000 census. The town is named after Kiliaen Van Rensselaer.
is on the south border of the county. The "official" hamlets are Cooksburg, Medusa, Potter Hollow, Preston Hollow, and Rensselaerville.
Rensselaerville was once part of the Rensselaerwyck estate.
Rensselaerville was created from part of the Town of Watervliet in 1790. In 1795, the northern part of the town was lost to create the new Town of Berne. Additional territory was lost from the eastern part of the town upon the formation of the Town of Westerlo in 1815.