is a village in Saratoga County, New York, United States. The population was 1,197 at the 2000 census. The village is named after the Schuyler family.
is in the northeast part of the Town of Saratoga and is east of Saratoga Springs. It borders the Village of Victory.
The region was settled in 1691 and called Fort Saratoga by Dutch settlers from Albany, NY, notably the Schuyler family. The community that developed near the fort was originally called "Saratoga," but was partly destroyed in 1745. In 1777, during the Revolutionary War, the British crossed the Hudson here, and marched south about 9 miles to Stillwater. After their defeat, the British retreated back to the village, where they surrendered, marking the "turning point of the Revolution." This event is known as the Battles of Saratoga.
The village was incorporated in 1831 as Schuylerville. The Champlain Canal helped the local economy. Many people and businesses currently refer to the village by the nickname Old Saratoga, also, Olde Saratoga.
, writer James Howard Kunstler published a piece entitled "Schuylerville Stands Still". This piece used Schuylerville as an example of rural "rot and disrepair", citing unemployment, broken sidewalks, and dented cans at the local mini market, Mini Mart. Reaction to the article from members of the community was strongly negative. Kunstler also used Schuylerville as an example of a town in decline in a chapter titled "The loss of community" in his 1993 book, The Geography of Nowhere.
Also in 1990, a lawsuit arose between the Schuylerville school board and a local Jewish family, over the removal of a painting depicting the crucifixion of Christ from public display in the school auditorium. This lawsuit, which the school lost, prompted a visit to Schuylerville by a Ku Klux Klan member. At the same time, the Reverend Al Sharpton staged a counter-protest over the presence of the Klan.