is a village in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, United States. The population was 2,174 at the 2000 census. It is known as "The Little Switzerland of Ohio."
The village of Shanesville was founded in 1814 by Abraham Shane at the intersection of two Indian trails (currently Ohio State Routes 39 and 93). This village was surpassed in size and stature by Sugarcreek (then known as East Shanesville, but renamed based on Sugar Creek) when the railroads came in the mid-1800s. Shanesville was administratively merged with Sugarcreek in 1969.