is the county seat of Polk County, Oregon, United States. Originally named either Cynthia Ann or Cynthian (evidence supports either form), Dallas was later named after George M. Dallas, Vice President of the United States (1845 - 1849) under James Knox Polk, the same person for whom Dallas, Texas is thought to be named. The population was 12,459 at the 2000 census, with an unofficial estimated population of 15,065 in 2007.
Dallas is located on Rickreall Creek, approximately 15 miles west of Salem, at an altitude of 325 feet above sea level. It is part of the Salem Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Dallas was first settled in 1845, on the north side of Rickreall Creek, but was moved just over a mile south due to an inadequate supply of water in 1856. It was incorporated as a town in 1874, and was successful in keeping nearby Independence from becoming the county seat in the 1880s and 1890s. It was ranked as a city in 1901.
Louis Gerlinger, Sr., incorporated the Salem, Falls City and Western Railway Company late in October 1901 and announced plans to build a railroad from the Willamette River at Salem to the mouth of the Siletz River on the Oregon Coast, a distance of 65 miles.
In 1902, Louis's son George T. Gerlinger organized a group of investors to build railroad lines in the area.
On May 29 1903, the first train ran from Dallas to Falls City. At the end of June, passenger trains began regularly scheduled trips to and from Dallas and Falls City each day; the nine-mile, forty-minute, one-way trip cost 35 cents.
Willamette Industries was founded in Dallas in 1906. At that time the company name was Willamette Valley Lumber Company. Louis Gerlinger, Sr. was president of the new company and H.L. Pittock, vice president. George T. Gerlinger served as secretary and manager while F.W. Leadbetter was treasurer. George Cone served as director and mill superintendent. In 1967 Willamette Valley Lumber and several others merged to become Willamette Industries.