is a city in Yamhill County, Oregon, United States. Located in the Portland metropolitan area, the city is home to George Fox University. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 18,064. The 2007 estimate is 21,675 residents and is the second most populous city in the county.
Incorporated in 1889, tradition holds that this town was named by its first postmaster, Sebastian Brutscher, for his former hometown of Neuberg in Germany. One of the current streets, Brutscher Street, is named after him.
Newberg was the first community in Oregon to hold Quaker services. It was incorporated as a city in 1889. The city's newspaper,
, was established the same year. Pacific Academy, later renamed George Fox University, was founded by the Quakers in 1891. George Fox University is the only evangelical Christian university in the Pacific Northwest classified by U.S. News & World Report as a national university. The campus resides in the center of the city, surrounded by university-owned housing.
Herbert Hoover moved to the city in 1885, at the age of 11, to live with his uncle after the death of his parents. The home has been turned into the Hoover-Minthorn House museum.
The town was "dry", meaning no alcohol could be sold within the city limits, for a good part of its early history. Although alcohol is now allowed within city limits, and George Fox University professors and graduate students have been given a little more freedom with alcohol consumption, the university's undergraduate population is still expected to abstain.
In 2005, the Dundee City Council voted to disband its police department and contract services to the Newberg Police Department. After the Newberg City Council approved the contract the department was renamed the Newberg-Dundee Police Department. Each town still has its own fire department.