is a borough in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is located in the Poconos region of the state. Originally known as "Dansbury", East Stroudsburg was renamed for geographic reasons when the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad opened a station in town.
Its population has shown a slow, steady escalation from 2,648 in 1900 to 3,330 in 1910 to 6,404 in 1940 to 9,888 in 2000, according to census reports.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 2.9 square miles (7.4 km²), all of it land.
When traveling west on Interstate 80, East Stroudsburg is the third town past the NJ-PA border on exit 308, with Minisink Hills being second, at 309, and Delaware Water Gap being first, at 310.