is a borough in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, in the United States. It is the second oldest borough in the county and a suburb of Allentown, Pennsylvania in the Lehigh Valley region of the state.
Macungie was founded as Millerstown in 1776 by Peter Miller. On November 15 1857, the village of Millerstown was incorporated as a borough. In 1875, the borough was renamed Macungie to avoid confusion with another town by the same name, that of Millerstown in Perry County.
Macungie is derived from "Maguntsche," a place name used as early as 1730 to describe the region that is now present-day Macungie and Emmaus. "Maguntsche" is a Lenape word, meaning either "bear swamp" or "feeding place of the Bears." The borough's current seal depicts a bear coming to drink at water near some cattails.
Other names (and alternate spellings) for Macungie have included Kunshi, Kunski, Maccongy, Machk-unschi, Machts, Machts Kunski, Macongy, Macungy, Macunjy and Mauck-Kuntshy.