is a city in Jefferson County, Tennessee, United States. It is part of the Morristown, Tennessee Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 7,760 at the 2000 census. The city was originally named Mossy Creek, but was changed in 1901 to honor Thomas Jefferson. Carson-Newman College, a Baptist college founded in 1851, is located in Jefferson City.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.3 square miles (13.9 km²), of which, 5.2 square miles (13.7 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (0.93%) is water.