nicknamed the "Land of Two Summers," is a city in irrigated areas of southern Hidalgo County, Texas, United States. Incorporated in 1924 and named for the Alamo Land and Sugar Company. Abundant vegetables, citrus and winter resort-retirement areas; also one of Valley's gateways to Mexico via U.S. 281 and Nuevo Progreso, Tamaulipas. The population was 14,760 at the 2000 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.7 square miles (14.8 km²), all of it land.