is a town in Essex County, Vermont, United States. The population was 1,260 at the 2000 census. The town was named Gilead in its original grant in 1780. The town was sold to a group comprised primarily of soldiers commanded by Colonel Joseph Nightingale and subsequently named Random. The town's name was finally changed by the legislature to Brighton in 1932. The Brighton village of Island Pond gets its name from the Abenaki word
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 53.4 square miles (138.4 km
The Clyde River originates in Spectacle Pond, Brighton. It flows from there to Island Pond from the north end of Island Pond to the west. It proceeds towards Charleston, in a northwesterly direction.