is a neighborhood in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, south of the downtown area and north of the City of St. Francis. The original
. According to the designation, it is roughly bounded by Lake Michigan to the east, Meredith Street to Superior, up to Nock Street and then from Wentworth Avenue to Pryor Avenue.
Although the neighborhood boundaries of Bay View have grown over the years as more and more people identify with it, the specific boundaries given by the Milwaukee Neighborhood Identification Project are: along the border of Lake Michigan, south of Jones Island, from Lincoln Avenue to the north and Howell Avenue to the west, south to Morgan Avenue changing to Oklahoma Avenue heading east.
The first permanent European settlement of the Bay View area was in 1834; Horace Chase, future Milwaukee mayor, is credited as the first permanent settler. In 1855, the Green Bay, Milwaukee and Chicago Rail Road established its first Milwaukee-area depot in Bay View. In 1868, the Milwaukee Iron Company opened a plant in the area, and Bay View was established as a company town. By 1879, Bay View had a population of 2,592, and incorporated as a village, on approx . of land. By 1886, Bay View had become a center of workers' rights activism, the culmination of which was the Bay View Tragedy. A year later, the village's approximately 4,000 residents voted overwhelmingly to be annexed to the city of Milwaukee, becoming the city's 17
ward and ending the community's independent identity. Thenceforth, the village has been a Milwaukee neighborhood.