() is a city in and the county seat of Waukesha County, Wisconsin, in the Upper Midwest region of the United States. As of the 2000 census, Waukesha had a total population of 64,826, and was the largest community in the county. The city is located adjacent to the Town of Waukesha. Milwaukee County is due east of Waukesha County.
magazine ranked Waukesha 36th on its list of the "100 Best Places to Live", in the United States.
Waukesha is home to the Episcopal monastery of the Order of Julian of Norwich.
The area that Waukesha now encompasses was first inhabited in 1834. Its first non-American-Indian settler was Morris D. Cutler.
By 1846, the area was incorporated as the village of Prairieville. On February 8, 1847, the village changed its name to, "Waukesha," and in 1896, incorporated as a city.