is a city in Kanawha County, West Virginia, United States, at the confluence of the Kanawha and Coal Rivers. The population was 11,567 at the 2000 census; according to Census Bureau estimates, it had fallen to 11,028 by 2006.
St. Albans was laid out in 1816. Originally, it was known as
due to its location at the mouth of the Coal River. The city was then incorporated as
in 1868. Its name was changed to St. Albans in 1871 after it was suggested by a man named Parsons, a member of the town Council, after his hometown of St. Albans, Vermont.
Main Street, in downtown St. Albans, has been re-opened to traffic and is no longer called Olde Main Plaza.
St. Albans is located at (38.380365, -81.819712).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.7 square miles (9.6 km²), of which, 3.6 square miles (9.4 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (2.16%) is water.