is an unincorporated town in northwestern Hampshire County in the U.S. state of West Virginia. According to the 2000 census, the Springfield community has a population of 1,096. Springfield is located north of Romney along West Virginia Route 28 at its junction with Green Spring Road (West Virginia Secondary Route 1) and Springfield Pike (West Virginia Secondary Route 3). It is currently considering incorporation.
George Washington first visited the Springfield area in 1748 as a member of a party that surveyed the land holdings of Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron in the South Branch Potomac River valley. The Town of Springfield was formally established on December 16, 1790.
In June 1861 , the town organized a company of men known as the "Potomac Guards" in support of the Confederacy. The company was under the command of Captain Philip T. Grace.