For Sale by Owner News and Articles
Avoid The Sticker Shock Of Relocating
- During 1998 and 1999, 42 million Americans moved, spending $102 billion on move-related goods.
- Homeowners spent an average of $9,400 on purchases; renters spent $3,700.
- 15% of homeowners and 12% of renters stated that they bought a computer within the 8 weeks surrounding their move; homeowners spent an average of $2,160, and renters spent $1,340.
- 12% of all moving homeowners bought a car; 66% of these carbuyers made the purchase within four weeks after moving.
- 57% of owners and 37% of renters bought furniture within the 12 weeks surrounding their move; owners spent an average of $3,500 and renters spent $1,220.
- 35% of owners and 40% of renters bought bedding; of these individuals, 72% did so within three after their move. Owners spent an average of $420 and renters $240.
- 55% of moving homeowners purchase at least one appliance when they move, and 57% of homeowners buy furniture.
- 12% of all respondents with Internet access researched moving companies on the web; 8% researched real estate sites, 7% researched appliances/furnishings and 2% researched electronics, computers and banking services.
- 6% of movers using the Internet for research actually made online purchases; those buying goods and services spent an average of $600.
© Copyright Realty Times. All Rights Reserved.